Our History

Aerial of the IslandMistinikon Lake, as the headwater for the Montreal River, was a pivotal part of the fur trade. It is said, there was a trading post dating back to the 1700’s located on the lake. With land, rich with all manner of natural resources, the voyageurs both trapped and purchased furs as they travelled the mighty Montreal River system.

In the 1940’s, Mistinikon Lake was barely accessible and had limited access, but two enterprising prospectors, Jim Johnson and George Christie decided to venture into tourism. George purchased land on the mainland and Jim preferred island life. In 1947 Jim Johnson opened the doors of the newly named Horseshoe Island Camp and rented the three cottages he had built. Jim added a fourth, 3 bedroom unit in the 1960’s.

In 1976 Jim decided it was time to retire and so the torch was passed to the current owners. Since that time major construction and renovations have taken place to create a spot with modern amenities that people have come to expect in a wilderness environment. Christie’s camp is no longer in existence and we are now the only resort on the Lake.

We believe it is a bold statement that is self evident for any establishment to have just two owners. Like Jim, we love our business and believe it shows in the enthusiasm incorporated into our day to day operations.

So our history is almost as rich as the wonderful waterway we are so fortunate to share with you.